Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I think I read somewhere that all travel journeys should include the following elements... "Eat, Pray, Love." I am pretty sure I have managed to accomplish the Pray and Love part, but the "Eat" part has proved to be much more difficult in NZ. I have never considered myself a "foodie" or anything close to it, but I have been blessed with a husband who loves to cook. Michael, is the king of spices and for the last few years I have been able to rest assured that every meal will be packed with flavor. Michael can be seen on most occasions tasting a bite of dinner and then adding heaping piles of crushed red pepper to his plate. I hate to admit it, as lovely as NZ is thus far, it truly is lacking in the culinary arts. So far, apart from our family and friends, we are most home sick for FOOD with any sort of flavor. On multiple occasions, we have ordered meals that taste a lot like paper. This is the first experience I have ever had where a meal can actually taste like nothing. Since we have been without a kitchen for our entire traveling experience thus far we have reverted to eating Bananas for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner (Well... Bananas and Tam Tams the most delicious cookie ever created). This is all OK, because here in NZ calories are refereed to as "Energy" and you can never feel badly about consuming too much Energy. So, as Michael and I try to survive the foods of NZ we pray you will have pity on us and ship us some items on the craving list: Me: spray butter (Michael says he will destroy any spray butter that arrives, as he is detoxing me for the benefit of our future offspring), ketchup (real ketchup not the sweetened stuff), STEAK, and sugar free red bull. Michael: Hot Sauce, Crushed Red Pepper, COSTCO size version of Chicken Breast and basically anything at all from Costco (including any samples one is able to aquire.). We love you all and felt it was necessary to warn you of the food "situation" before you arrive to visit. With much love and a little bit of hunger... LBTK

2 comments:

  1. You two are hilarious!! As soon as we get an address I promise to send you some goodies!

    Miss you friends...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed... New Zealand food could use some work. For us our awakening came from discovering.... Indian Food! It's soooo good.

    ReplyDelete