Wednesday, May 5, 2010

One of the first things most Americans will notice when they come to New Zealand is how kind the people are here. I am not sure what exactly has taught us Americans to be leery of strangers or suspicious of people offering to help us, but regardless of that perspective, when in New Zealand you can't help but embrace this way of life.
Michael and I began to notice this the second we stepped on our flight to Auckland. The steward on the airplane found out we were moving to NZ and automatically befriended us. Towards the end of the flight he brought us a bottle of magnificent wine (told us to discretely hide it in our hand luggage) and demanded that we cheers to our new start as soon as possible. Thank you Air New Zealand, we did have quite the cheers!
Exiting the plane towards security, Michael and I continued to awkwardly finagle all of our belongings (he with one leg and me with no excuse). It is quite surprising how quickly we acquire stuff and how much stuff we feel we can't simply live without. I would like to note, that I have only opened one suitcase since I have been here and have worn the same outfit most of the time. When in route to our hotel with over 500 pounds of luggage, I would have been quite happy to dispose of every last clothing article I own (minus my converse adventure shoes of course).

While we were in line picking up our multiple bags off the carousal. A friendly little dog and security guard approached my bag. Here in NZ they are mostly concerned with people bringing foreign species into the country through fruit and poultry. The security agent asked me multiple times, "Are you sure you don't have a sandwich in there?" Are you sure you don't have just a little piece of fruit or beef jerky?" I didn't, but couldn't help but laugh at the questions or the cute little basset hound licking my purse. I can also guarantee if there was a sandwich in there I would have devoured it prior to it reaching "Bruno." Even the security guard was kind in her pursuit of hidden lunches and offered a "Have a good day mate," prior to following Bruno's lead to the next tasty treat.
It seems as if here in NZ random acts of kindness are a way of life and not the exception to the rule. We have seen it in the random stranger sharing a shuttle ride with us and offering to let us sleep on their couch, the auctioneer who felt so bad we got outbid on a car we wanted he drove us all the way back to the city ( so we could avoid a taxi charge), the hotel worker who has looked up endless car auctions, bank information, and continues to ask us daily how we are getting along. It is the pastor (who knows us through at least six degrees of separation), locating our hotel and phoning us to say "WELCOME to NEW ZEALAND and "Would you like to come for dinner?" What all of this has taught us is there is always an opportunity to extend your hand and offer others kindness. Perhaps, if we could all send our children for a brief stent in New Zealand the world would be simply, a friendlier, happier place. So thank you New Zealand for welcoming us into your country and reminding me daily of the kind of person I always want to be. - LBTK

No comments:

Post a Comment